Follow this easy recipe for Chili Relleno Casserole made with Bisquick, green chilies, and two kinds of cheese. It’s creamy, cheesy, and great for a meatless meal.
What Is Chili Relleno?
An authentic Chili Relleno is a chili pepper stuffed with cheese and sometimes with meat. It’s usually fried or grilled. I really love Chili Relleno, but it’s time-consuming. That’s why I really enjoy this casserole. It might take 50 minutes to bake, but the prep is really simple.
How to make Chili Relleno Casserole
This is such an easy recipe to make. The prep work is a breeze. You just mix up the ingredients and then layer them in the casserole dish.
It will take about 45-50 minutes to bake in the oven.
Here’s what I put in my casserole:
- Shredded Cheese – I used sharp cheddar because it has the best flavor. You can use any combination of cheeses for it. I also use Monterey Jack to make it nice and cheesy.
- Butter – to help keep the casserole from sticking to the baking dish.
- Eggs – The egg-size doesn’t matter. You just need 3 eggs of any size.
- Milk – If you can’t have cow’s milk, you can use almond milk instead.
- Bisquick – If you are on a gluten-free diet you can use a gluten-free substitute
- Chilies – I used Ortega whole and diced green chilies. The canned ones have a better texture and last longer on the shelf.
Does Relleno have meat?
The main stuffing for the chili pepper is cheese. It is optional to add meat such as ground beef, pork, or chicken.
Can you freeze Chili Relleno Casserole?
Yes, this makes an excellent freezer meal. Before you bake it, seal it and put it in the freezer. Label it with the date. It will last about 3 months in the freezer.
When you are ready to bake it, take it out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw in the refrigerator. Then, bake it like normal.
What do you serve with Chili Relleno Casserole?
This could be a meal all on its own. But if you want some side-dish ideas, try one of these.
More Tasty Casseroles
Popular Copycat Recipes
Find even more Mexican restaurant recipes and casserole dishes to make and enjoy.
Chili Relleno Casserole IIclass="wprm-recipe-name wprm-block-text-bold">
Chili Relleno casserole is your favorite flavors without all of the work and oil of frying Chili Rellenos.
Print Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Ingredientsclass="wprm-recipe-header wprm-recipe-ingredients-header wprm-block-text-bold">
- 1 7 ounce whole chilies
- 1 4 ounce can diced chilies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Bisquick baking Mix
Instructionsclass="wprm-recipe-header wprm-recipe-instructions-header wprm-block-text-bold">
Preheat oven to 325.
Combine Cheeses in a bowl.
Melt butter in 13″ x 9″ casserole dish. You can do this by placing the butter into the baking dish while the oven is preheating.
Lay whole chilies on melted butter, covering bottom of dish. Sprinkle 2/3 of the cheese on chilies.
Mix the milk, eggs, Bisquick until smooth, add diced chilies and pour over cheese. Top with remainder of cheese. Bake for 45 minutes.
Nutritionclass="wprm-recipe-header wprm-recipe-nutrition-header wprm-block-text-bold">
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 475mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Calcium: 417mg | Iron: 0.9mg