Chinese-style shrimp balls with shrimp sauce. Great recipe for Chinese-style shrimp balls with shrimp sauce. Shrimp balls are from a found recipe, the sauce I improvised. It's actually fairly involved and I'm honestly not sure it's worth the.
They are sure to please your guests, whether set out on an appetizer buffet or passed. You can choose the dipping sauce to accompany them. Some people like sweet and sour sauce, cocktail sauce, or spicy Chinese. You can cook Chinese-style shrimp balls with shrimp sauce using 16 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chinese-style shrimp balls with shrimp sauce
- It’s of Shrimp balls.
- Prepare 600 grams of shrimp.
- It’s 2 tsp of potato starch or corn starch.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 of egg white.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.
- You need 1/4 tsp of white pepper (original recipe says 1/8).
- It’s of Shrimp sauce.
- Prepare of Shells, tails, and heads from the shrimp.
- You need 2 tbs of minced garlic.
- Prepare 2 tbs of minced ginger.
- It’s 4 tbs of chopped green onions.
- It’s 1 of small pinch chili flakes (optional).
- It’s 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1-2 tbs of oil.
- Prepare of Corn starch slurry.
Asian Fried Shrimp Balls with Spicy Dipping Sauce are truly an irresistible appetizer. We are so thrilled to have partnered with Kroger to bring you this incredibly delicious appetizer that is perfect for serving to hungry guests before the big feast. Crunchy shrimp balls can be made as an appetizer for an Asian-themed feast. The Japanese breadcrumbs give these shrimp balls lots of texture.
Chinese-style shrimp balls with shrimp sauce step by step
- Peel and devein shrimp. Reserve shells, tails, and heads for the sauce..
- Mix the shrimp, salt, and 1 tsp of the starch in a bowl. Let sit for seven minutes..
- After seven minutes, thoroughly rinse off the shrimp, then pat dry with paper towels. Once the shrimp are dry, chop them up roughly, put them in a bowl, and mash them into a paste..
- Add in the remaining 1 tsp of starch, egg white, sesame oil, and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined. IMPORTANT: stir in ONE DIRECTION only. This is key for the consistency of the paste..
- Once combined, gather up the paste in one hand and throw it hard back into the bowl (not baseball pitcher hard but with some real force). THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT. I believe this is to help break down the proteins and give the balls that firm consistency. Do this at least six times and until paste is sticky (I did it more like ten or twelve)..
- Cover shrimp mixture and let chill in the fridge for 30 minutes..
- While the shrimp mixture chills, make the sauce..
- Over medium heat, cook the garlic, ginger, and green onions in the oil until fragrant (about 30 secs to one minute). Add in the reserved shells, tails, and heads, and cook until they turn color. As they cook, press down on them to extract max flavor..
- Add in chicken stock (and chili flakes, if you like spicy), turn up the heat to a near boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer until sauce reduces, around 20 minutes. Continue to press on the shells, etc. and add more stock if reducing too quickly..
- When reduced by half or more, strain the sauce and reserve the liquid..
- Take the shrimp paste out of the fridge, form it into balls, and then steam them over high heat for five minutes. You should get about twelve balls in total if you make a full batch..
- While the balls cook, put the sauce in a pan, gently simmer, and add a little slurry to thicken it up a bit (easy to overdo this)..
- Remove balls from steamer, pour sauce over them, garnish as you like (I used ginger and cilantro), and serve..
Serve them with a sweet chili dipping sauce on the side. First, you blend the shrimp and the seasonings to form a shrimp paste. Then you cut up the spring roll wrappers into strips. Wet your hands with some water, make the shrimp paste into balls, roll them over the bed of spring roll strips, and off they go into a deep fryer or wok for deep-frying. Serve the shrimp balls hot with the dipping sauce; For the dipping sauce: Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well The Shrimp Balls taste wonderful served with either potato salad, or Cajun boiled red potatoes, french fries, brown gravy, or red sauce over rice.