Chinese celery w/ Tofu. Chinese celery resembles long, super skinny regular celery. I am not from china but truly love Chinese culture , specially their recipes. Tofu is a great source of iron , this recipe will be so handy for growing kids.
The celery enhances the tofu flavor. Celery's crunchiness and tofu's softness complement each other so well. Then add in cooked tofu, peppers, and celery. You can cook Chinese celery w/ Tofu using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chinese celery w/ Tofu
- You need .5 lb of pork butt; cut into.5” chunks.
- You need 1/4 c of shrimp.
- It’s 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
- You need 2 stalks of Chinese celery; stalks cut into 1” pieces, leaves set aside.
- It’s of Tofu; lightly fried.
- Prepare .5 of onion, cut into chunks.
- It’s 2 of Roma tomatoes; cut into chunks.
- You need 2 tbsp of garlic; chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of black bean sauce.
- Prepare 2 tsp of oyster sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 c of chicken broth.
Stir-fry everything together for another couple minutes until combined. Plate and serve this lively five spice vegetable tofu stir-fry with rice! The Kinchay (Chinese celery) has a pronounced fragrance and flavor that complements the tofu so well. Compared to a regular celery Kinchay or Chinese celery is smaller with thin stalks.
Chinese celery w/ Tofu step by step
- Coat the pork with soy sauce and cornstarch. Sauté in a pan with 3tbsp oil until cooked through..
- Separate the Chinese celery stalks from the leaves..
- Sauté your onion for a minute then add your garlic. Then the tomatoes..
- Grandma added this salted soy bean paste in. You can sub with black bean sauce; I think they’re the same. Add in your shrimp and the oyster sauce..
- Continue to sauté until the tomatoes are soft. Then stir in the celery stalks..
- Last but not least, the celery leaves. Add the chicken broth as needed to keep the moisture. Turn off the heat and set aside..
- Here’s grandpa frying up the tofu..
- And you’re done! Enjoy!.
The whole kinchay can be chopped and added to the dish but I prefer just to use the leaves. Put a pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add celery and blanch for about a minute; drain in colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Layer celery and tofu on serving plates, drizzle with chili oil and sprinkle with salt. Season with Shaoxing wine, salt and MSG and serve.